RT @AndyBerke: Thanks to the students and teachers from @EastLakeES who visited City Hall today. It was great to see you! https://t.co/IDwQ…

View Our
Facebook Page!

Report Fraud, Waste,
and Abuse

Online Services Payments, GIS Maps, Tax Information
Contact Department contacts, Reports and Requests

Short-term Vacation Rental

What is a Short Term Vacation Rental?

A “Short-Term Vacation Rental” is any house or other structure containing no more than nine (9) bedrooms within permissible zones which is used, advertised or held out to the public in part or its entirety to be a place where sleeping accommodations are supplied for pay and such accommodations are provided on a daily or weekly basis for not more than (30) days for overnight stay.  For the purposes of this definition, any short-term vacation rental on a site located wither in R-1 or R-2 Residential Zones shall contain no more than five (5) bedrooms and shall exclude hotels, rooming houses, bed and breakfast, and boarding houses or other licensed dwelling units for rent or lease as defined in Section 11-186 and/or Section 38-2.  You can access the full Ordinance here.

The process for obtaining a Short Term Vacation Rental Certificate

This process is entirely based upon occupancy and zoning.  There are 3 different processes based to obtain a certificate: Owner Occupied, R-3 & R-4 Zoning and Non-Owner Occupied.  NOTE: If you are renting out the property that is your primary residence, but you are not there during the time the property is being rented, you are considered "Non-Owner Occupied". Please refer to the flow charts below to determine which steps you will need to follow.

Owner Occupied


Non-Owner Occupied


R-3 & R-4 Zoned

 stvr r 3 r 4

Short Term Vacation Overlay


To check your zoning and proximity to the Short-Term Vacation Overlay, please check Hamilton County GIS.  You may access Hamilton County GIS by going to http://gis.hamiltontn.gov/

For instructions on how to check your zoning or location within the Short-Term Vacation Overlay, click here.



  • Owner Occupied Short Term Vacation Rentals: $75.00
  • Non-Owner Occupied Short Term Vacation Rentals: $125

How to make a complaint

Call our hotline! 435.STR.HELP

Report online! https://hostcompliance.com/tips

Email us directly stvr@chattanooga.gov

Hamilton County Taxes

In addition to City Taxes, applicants are also required to pay Hamilton County Taxes.  The information attached is provided by the Hamilton County Trustee's Office here.

Dottie Brewer