View Our
Facebook Page!

Report Fraud, Waste,
and Abuse

Online Services Payments, GIS Maps, Tax Information
Contact Department contacts, Reports and Requests

Biosolids Management System

Chattanooga's Moccasin Bend Wastewater Treatment Plant produces biosolids from the Solids Handling System which is recognized by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Tennessee Department of Agriculture as a soil amendment (fertilizer).  With a 5-star rating from the American Public Works Association, the City's biosolids program produces approximately 70,000 wet tons of material annually. 

The program is monitored by the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation, the Alabama Department of Environmental Management, the Tennessee Department of Agriculture and the United States Environmental Protection Agency.

There are currently over 190 farms participating in the program with over 31,022 permitted acres in Tennessee and Alabama, as well as one mine reclamation site located in Copperhill, Tennessee. 

The City has contracted with Synagro South for the transportation and land application of their beneficial reuse product, "biosolids". The City's material has been certified by the TN Dept of Agriculture as a commercial fertilizer.





pdfBiosolids Program Requirements for Participation


For more information, please contact:  


City of Chattanooga Biosolids Coordinator Jacob McCrary

(423) 762-3504


You may also contact 3-1-1 @ or call 423-643-6311


Regulations BMS Manual &Appendices Biosolids Links Sustainability Committee
EPA 503 Plain English  resolution_25096_biosolids_support_4-24-07.pdf  N.E.B.R.A.  T.R.G.T.
Right-To-Farm Statutes BMS_Manual_April_29__2014.pdf  UT AG Extension  Friends of Moccasin Bend





The Tennessee Department of Agriculture Agricultural Inputs

tdec 1431120032643 18015067 ver1.0 320 240Water Resources Permits GIS

Permit Number TNB024210

Updated 1/27/2023



Billing questions should be directed to 311.

Regarding Sewer Credits
(423) 643-7400 (Industrial/Commercial Only)

Regarding Water Bill
TAWC 866-736-6420
Hixson Utility (423) 877-3513

Regarding New Industry Location
Pretreatment Supervisor (423) 643-7400

To report leaky manholes, sewer leakage, or other sewer complaints, call 311 or for cell phones (423) 643-6311.

Regarding Sewer Location
(423) 643-7400

Regarding Sewer Taps
(423) 643-7400

Should you have a problem with your sewer line, call 311 before you call a plumber. There could be a problem with the main line and this could save you a plumbing bill.

Swimming pool credits are no longer issued per Ordinance 11884.