View Our
Facebook Page!

Report Fraud, Waste,
and Abuse

Online Services Payments, GIS Maps, Tax Information
Contact Department contacts, Reports and Requests

Food Trucks on Public Property

Food trucks may operate from city parking spaces or other public property only where a Mobile Food Unit Zone has been established. Existing Mobile Food Unit zones are:

  • The on-street parking spaces on the east side of 900 Market Street.
  • The on-street parking spaces on the west side of 900 Georgia Ave.
  • The on-street parking spaces on the west side of Chestnut Street directly adjacent to the Chattanooga Green.

Any food truck may operate in any Mobile Food Unit zone by:

1) Having obtained all required business licenses for a mobile food unit permit as required by Section 20-148.

2) Showing proof of insurance with paid-up premiums for one year as required by Section 20-152.

3) Reading and complying with the Mobile Food Unit (MFU) Zone Policy and Procedure.

4) Reserving metered parking space(s) in the MFU zone through the Chattanooga Parking Authority: 423-648-4031

Use of space in a MFU zone may be restricted during closures and special events

To add a Mobile Food Unit zone, please read the Mobile Food Unit (MFU) Zone Policy and Procedures and submit the included application. Contact CDOT for assistance in defining the affected area and compiling the list of properties to petition. The applicant will gather signatures from impacted property owners and resident (one HOA representative may sign for multiple residents of a complex by signing for their property and initial with "HOA" by all the names they represent).


Mobile Food Units Frequently Asked Questions

Development Resource Center
1250 Market Street, Suite 3030 (map)
Chattanooga, TN 37402
Office Hours: 8 am to 4:30 pm
Phone: (423) 643-5950

Request new or report problems with existing traffic control devices by calling 311, (423) 643-6311, or by visiting

Photo by Phillip Stevens and Matt Lea