View Our
Facebook Page!

Report Fraud, Waste,
and Abuse

Online Services Payments, GIS Maps, Tax Information
Contact Department contacts, Reports and Requests

Work Zone and Dumpster Permits

If you require a portion of a street or sidewalk to be blocked for work/construction purposes, you will need a work zone permit.  Examples of this include, placing a dumpster in the City right-of-way, blocking the street or sidewalk with construction fencing, scaffolding, barrels or any other work zone related items.  There is no fee for this permit, however you must contact the transportation department to obtain an approved permit.  Please call 423.643.5950 for more information.

The permit application can be downloaded and you can fill it out and return completed forms to 1250 Market Street, Ste. 3030, Chattanooga, TN 37402. Additionally, for questions related to Work Zone Permits or to submit a Work Zone Permit application, contact CDOT's Phillip Harwood at:  Once the application has been received, you will be contacted regarding the next steps that need to be taken. Please note that we require at least two weeks notice for all permits requiring Traffic Control Plans in order to create the plans and notify the public of the upcoming closures and traffic impacts.

Other options may include reserving parking meters to block off a specific space.  Meters can be reserved through the Chattanooga Parking Authority at

Development Resource Center
1250 Market Street, Suite 3030 (map)
Chattanooga, TN 37402
Office Hours: 8 am to 4:30 pm
Phone: (423) 643-5950

Request new or report problems with existing traffic control devices by calling 311, (423) 643-6311, or by visiting

Photo by Phillip Stevens and Matt Lea